Advanced Legal Drafting
For transactional lawyers in particular, but also interested litigators, Professor Garner offers a one-day seminar devoted entirely to drafting contracts and other transactional documents (including settlement agreements). This seminar will help even the most experienced drafters improve their contracts and other legal instruments—both stylistically and substantively. Highlights of the course include:
- How to avoid the most commonly litigated ambiguities.
- How to structure complex contractual provisions to make them more readable.
- How the canons of construction affect the meaning of certain types of sentences.
- Why it’s important to edit inherited forms—even recommended ones—for clarity and accuracy.
- When to use shall, when to use must, and when to use will—words that frequently bring grief to drafters.
- How to revise a contract with a proven step-by-step method.
Although the main focus is on various types of contracts—such as commercial leases, loan documents, and license agreements—we can, depending on your needs, shift the focus to other areas, such as legislative drafting or securities-disclosure documents.
LawProse Policy on In-House CLE Credit
Under state-bar rules, the hosting group is the proper applicant for CLE accreditation. We will supply you with the necessary attachments CLE applications require.